Home Serie A Manchester United ‘line up a five-year contract offer for AC Milan playmaker Hakan Calhanoglu’

Manchester United ‘line up a five-year contract offer for AC Milan playmaker Hakan Calhanoglu’

by Football Frenzied

Manchester United ‘ready to give AC Milan playmaker Hakan Calhanoglu a lucrative five-year contract’ with San Siro star at a stand-off in talks over extending his deal ‘after being left unhappy at latest £54,000-a-week offer’

  • Manchester United are reportedly keen on signing AC Milan’s Hakan Calhanoglu
  • The midfielder’s deal runs out in the summer and is yet to agree extension terms
  • Calhanoglu was claimed to be unhappy at Milan’s latest offer of £2.8m a season

Manchester United are reportedly planning to swoop for AC Milan star Hakan Calhanoglu – and prepared to offer him a lucrative five-year contract to lure him to the club.

The Turkish playmaker is out of contract next summer and has reached an impasse in talks over an extension with the Serie A giants.

Reports in Italy claim Calhanoglu has been left frustrated by Milan’s latest offer of a deal worth £2.8million a season (£54,000 a week) and, with the situation far from being resolved, has attracted the attention of a number of other clubs in Europe who are monitoring the midfielder. 

Manchester United are reportedly lining up a five-year contract offer for Hakan Calhanoglu

AC Milan star has reached an impasse in talks over extending his deal - which expires next year

AC Milan star has reached an impasse in talks over extending his deal – which expires next year

La Gazzetta dello Sport report that United are one club looking to exploit his contract situation and are willing to give him a pay increase on his current wages over a five-year deal. 

Calhanoglu, who has made a brilliant start to the new season with four goals and four assists from eight games in all competitions, is due to meet with Milan chiefs for further talks next month.

The Serie A leaders will be keen to strike an agreement with the midfielder before the end of the year when other clubs may be allowed to speak with him about a move.

Despite interest from United, it is understood the 26-year-old’s preference would be to remain in Italy with Milan.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had been desperate to add an attack-minded player to his squad in the summer but failed in bids to sign Jadon Sancho and Ousmane Dembele.

United have been routinely criticised for their transfer business over the summer with £40m signing Donny van de Beek yet to start a Premier League game while Solskjaer has been struggling to establish what his best central midfield pairing looks like due to having an overload of players in that position. 

Solskjaer has a midfield problem as it is and United's pursuit of Calhanoglu will raise questions

Solskjaer has a midfield problem as it is and United’s pursuit of Calhanoglu will raise questions

Turkey international Calhanoglu (L) has been a key player in Milan's superb start to the season

Turkey international Calhanoglu (L) has been a key player in Milan’s superb start to the season

Jamie Carragher insisted this week that United will never be able to play Bruno Fernandes and Paul Pogba together but that Scott McTominay and Fred are not ‘good enough for them to win the league’.

He said: ‘The problem for me is Paul Pogba, I’ve said it for a long time. Fernandes is the man for that No 10 position but I don’t know how Ole can not pick a £90m signing in Pogba, it’s difficult for a manager, so at some stage he will get back into the team.’ 

Calhanoglu plays as a No 10 for Milan and is a similar player to Fernandes, which will likely raise questions over United’s pursuit of him and overall transfer strategy.

The Turkey international has been a key figure in Milan’s inspired start to the new campaign and is expected to start against Sparta Prague on Thursday after missing Milan’s first Europa League match against Celtic last week through a sprained ankle.

Advertisement


Source: DailyMail

You may also like

Leave a Comment