‘I waited with real hope’: Yannick Bolasie reveals disappointment at missing domestic transfer deadline to reunite with former boss Neil Warnock at Middlesbrough… as outcast Everton winger reveals he was ‘willing to give up a lot’ to seal switch
- Middlesbrough were eager to sign Everton forward Yannick Bolasie on Friday
- But the two clubs ultimately failed to finalise a deal for the 31-year-old forward
- He could have linked up with Neil Warnock, his former boss at Crystal Palace
- But taking to Twitter Bolasie has expressed his heartache at the move faltering
Yannick Bolasie has revealed he has been left disappointed after his loan move to Middlesbrough from Everton was not completed before the domestic transfer deadline.
The Championship club had been in negotiations with their Premier League counterparts for the 31-year-old forward to move to the Riverside on loan, with the Teesside club eager to secure a deal.
However, the two clubs were ultimately unable to finalise a deal before Friday’s deadline, even though the Congo international claims he signed the contract that should have seen him link up again with former boss Neil Warnock.
Yannick Bolasie has revealed his disappointment after his move to Middlesbrough fell through
The move would have seen the Everton winger link up again with former boss Neil Warnock
And commenting on Twitter after the move failed to materialise, Bolasie expressed his heartache, saying: ‘Disappointed the deal couldn’t get done in time…signed & sent off, waited till 19.00 with real hope.
‘From my end I know I was willing to give up a lot…all I wanna do is say thank you to Neil Warnock (appreciate you so much) and wish Middlesbrough all the best this season.
‘But now my focus is back on Everton & continuing to work hard everyday like I have been & if I’m called upon I’ll be ready to do whatever is necessary.
‘Real ones know I speak from the heart nothing more nothing less.’
Bolasie played for Palace between 2012 and 2016, with Warnock taking charge of the club for the second time in 2014, and the move to Boro would have seen the duo reunited.
Bolasie has just a year left on his Everton contract and hasn’t played competitively for the Toffees since 2018.
He joined the Merseyside outfit in a £25m deal from Crystal Palace in the summer of 2016 but the move has turned out to be a monumental failure, scoring just two goals from his 32 appearances.
Therefore, he has spent the last two seasons on loan at three clubs, namely Aston Villa, Anderlecht and Sporting Lisbon.
Bolasie spent four years at Crystal Palace, and was there when Warnock took charge in 2014
A £25m move to Everton then followed but he has scored just two goals in 32 games for them
Things did not improve much for Bolasie when he returned to Everton in pre-season, as he missed a sitter against Preston, and he has not been involved in the squad for any of the club’s first six matches of the campaign.
The collapse of the move to Boro will come as further frustration given that Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti already stated the winger has no future at the club earlier this month.
‘Bolasie is doing well, he’s training well and properly. He’s a professional,’ the Italian told reporters.
He therefore spent the last two seasons out on loan, most recently at Sporting Lisbon
‘He is not part of the squad. He can train with us if he’s not able to find a club until the end of the market, and if he stays here of course we are going to train him.
‘But I said to him that we have a big squad, and unfortunately there is no space for him.’
He may now however have to stay put until January unless he can seal a move to Russia before tomorrow or to the Portuguese league before October 25.
He failed to impress upon his return and has not been included in Everton’s squads this season
Toffess boss Carlo Ancelotti has even admitted the forward had no future at Goodison Park